The Blob Collector’s Edition Blu-ray Comes Loaded with Special Features
Shout! Factory pulls out all the stops for this 1988 cult classic.
By Jay Gervais
We are just over a month away from the release of The Blob on collector’s edition Blu-ray, which is being handled by the folks over at Shout! Factory, and you’re going to want to look at all the goodies included in this release below. According to the retailer, there will be over four hours of new interviews, plus two new commentaries made especially for this release.
- National street date for North America (Region A) is October 29th, 2019.
- This will be presented as a Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.
- The newly commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from Joel Robinson (Candyman, 10 to Midnight, In the Mouth of Madness). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork.
- NEW Audio Commentary with Director Chuck Russell, Special Effects Artist Tony Gardner, and Cinematographer Mark Irwin, Moderated by Filmmaker Joe Lynch
- NEW Audio Commentary with Actress Shawnee Smith
- NEW It Fell From The Sky! – An Interview with Director Chuck Russell
- NEW We Have Work To Do – An Interview with Actor Jeffrey DeMunn
- NEW Minding The Diner – An Interview with Actress Candy Clark
- NEW They Call Me Mellow Purple – An Interview with Actor Donovan Leitch Jr.
- NEW Try To Scream! – An Interview with Actor Bill Moseley
- NEW Shot Him! – An Interview with Cinematographer Mark Irwin
- NEW The Incredible Melting Man – An Interview with Special Effects Artist Tony Gardner
- NEW Monster Math – An Interview with Special Effects Supervisor Christopher Gilman
- NEW Haddonfield To Arborville – An Interview with Production Designer Craig Stearns
- NEW The Secret Of The Ooze – An Interview with Mechanical Designer Mark Setrakian
- NEW I Want That Organism Alive! – An Interview with Blob Mechanic Peter Abrahamson
- NEW Gardner’s Grue Crew – Behind-The-Scenes Footage of Tony Gardner and His Team
- Audio Commentary with Director Chuck Russell, Moderated by Film Producer Ryan Turek
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spot
- Still Gallery
We last heard about this release when it was first announced back in June. This item, when it first became available for pre-order, came with a limited edition 18” x 24” rolled poster of the newly-commissioned artwork, but that version has since sold out. Hopefully you were able to snag it a while back, but if not, the collector’s edition Blu-ray is, of course, still available. It comes priced at $28.43, on top of any associated shipping costs, and can be ordered right here. As mentioned, this item is expected to release on October 29th.
The Blob was a remake of the 1958 film of the same name and was helmed by Chuck Russell (A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors, The Mask). The film starred Kevin Dillon (Poseidon, Platoon), Shawnee Smith (Saw franchise), Donovan Leitch Jr., Jeffrey DeMunn (The X-Files), Candy Clark (Zodiac, American Graffiti), and Joe Seneca (Malcolm X, A Time to Kill).
Exploitation Films: A Lost Art and Genre of Decades Past
Here’s to 50 years of freaking out with perhaps the greatest of all: I Drink Your Blood.
Weekly Horror News Round-Up February 7: Saw, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Midnight Mass
Plus, Jennifer Tilly joins the Chucky TV show, a premiere date for Castlevania is revealed, Into the Dark: My Valentine gets a trailer, and more.
Analysis: Evil Dead’s Sam Raimi May Be Directing Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
The planned horror tone of the sequel was in doubt following the exit of director Scott Derrickson due to creative differences with Marvel Studios.
Preview: Mars Attacks Returns with New Trading Card Series from SideKick Lab
The Kickstarter campaign for the retro-style Mars Attacks: Uprising is now live and we have an early look at one of the card packs.