The Thing Gets New Steelbook Release with 4K Scan
Scream Factory has been busy with all of these amazing releases.
By Jay Gervais
Scream Factory has announced that they are bringing a new 3-disc steelbook release for John Carpenter’s The Thing. Have a look at what’s included and check out the box art below.
- 2017 4K Scan Of The Feature Film
- 2K Scan Of The Interpositive Supervised And Approved By Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
- 4.1 Audio Mix Created From The Original 70MM Six Track Dolby Stereo Soundtrack (5.1 Audio Mix Also Included)
- Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Dean Cundey
- Audio Commentary With Co-producer Stuart Cohen
- Audio Commentary By Director John Carpenter And Actor Kurt Russell
- Teaser Trailer
- Theatrical Trailers (U.S. And German)
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Still Gallery (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Posters And Lobby Cards)
- Requiem For A Shape Shifter – An Interview With Director John Carpenter In Conversation With Filmmaker Mick Garris
- The Men Of Outpost 31 – Interviews With Keith David, Wilford Brimley, David Clennon, Thomas Waites, Peter Maloney, Richard Masur And Joel Polis
- Assembling And Assimilation – An Interview With Editor Todd Ramsay
- Behind The Chameleon: The Visual Effects Of The Thing – Interviews With Visual Effects Artists Peter Kuran And Susan Turner, Special Make-up Effects Artist Rob Burman, Brian Wade And Stop Motion Animators Randall William Cook And Jim Aupperle
- Sounds From The Cold – Interviews With Supervising Sound Editor David Lewis Yewdall And Special Sound Effects Designer Alan Howarth
- Between The Lines – An Interview With Novelization Author Alan Dean Foster
- Back Into The Cold: A Return To The Shooting Locations Of The Thing – An Animated Photo Gallery Narrated By Todd Cameron Of Outpost31.com
- The Art Of Mike Ploog Gallery
- John Carpenter's The Thing: Terror Takes Shape – A Documentary On The Making Of The Thing Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, Special Effects Make-up Designer Rob Bottin, Legendary Matte Artist Albert Whitlock And More! (SD)
- Network TV Broadcast Version Of The Thing (SD)
- Outtakes (SD)
- Vintage Featurettes From The Electronic Press Kit Featuring Interviews With John Carpenter, Kurt Russell And Rob Bottin (SD)
- Vintage Featurettes – The Making Of A Chilling Tale And The Making Of The Thing (SD)
- Vintage Product Reel – Contains A Condensed Version Of The Film With Additional Footage Not In The Film (SD)
- Vintage Behind-The-Scenes Footage (SD)
- Annotated Production Archive – Production Art And Storyboards, Location Scouting, Special Make-up Effects, Post Production (SD)
The retailer had previously released a collector’s edition for The Thing back in 2016 and the only main difference included here is a 2017 4K scan of the movie, which was provided to them by the film’s license holder. Otherwise, the included bonus features have all been previously released. If you have been holding out on owning The Thing on Blu-ray or been itching to see it in 4K, this may be the definitive edition to own.
If you order from Shout! Factory, you’ll get a free 28.5” x 16.5” rolled lithograph featuring brand-new artwork by Nathanael Marsh, but only while supplies last. The new steelbook of The Thing is currently priced at $28.43 plus cost of shipping. The rolled lithograph is limited to just 1,500 orders while only 10,000 copies of the Region A steelbooks were produced. Its expected street date is November 6th.
If you’re interested in ordering your copy, visit Shout! Factory today.