Bill Murray Says He's Willing to Be a Part of the Next Ghostbusters Film
At the Cannes Film Festival for The Dead Don't Die, the star discusses why he would come back to support a new sequel.
By Chris Morse
The legendary Bill Murray has been in attendance at the Cannes Film Festival for The Dead Don't Die, which held its world premiere as the opening night selection for the event. Of the many topics discussed by the actor interestingly was Ghostbusters and his potential role in any new movie within the franchise. In particular, as reported by IndieWire, the actor is willing to be a part of the new sequel if called upon.
Murray has nothing but adoration for the franchise that paid for his son's college and the co-stars who made it such a memorable collaboration. To him, it was always more about the people he shared the screen with, as opposed to the franchise itself or the studio behind it, which is part of the reason why he didn't budge on redoing any deals to return earlier.
The relationship you have with those people as collaborators is not necessarily the relationship I have with Sony. For years, they said, "We can’t make another Ghostbusters because Bill Murray won’t change the deal he made in 1984." Well, no, I never did. And you know what? They made the movie. You’re the new guys, I’m the old guy. It was good enough for the other people so it’s going to have to be good enough for you.
Regarding the actor's cameo in the 2016 Ghostbusters reboot, Murray credited his friendship with stars Kate McKinnon and Melissa McCarthy, who are both fellow alumni of Saturday Night Live. Simply put, they asked him to be in it and he was fine with making an appearance.
The actor even took these comments a step further, revealing that he would do the next film as well, referring to Jason Reitman's upcoming sequel, which is due out in July of next year.
I was in that movie just because they asked me, and I knew if I said no, I was saying I didn’t support that movie. I felt like, OK, I’m going to support them because I support them as people. So I did that one and I would do this next one.
Based on these comments, it sounds like the door is officially open for Bill Murray to return to the Ghostbusters franchise, even if it means reprising his role of Dr. Peter Venkman just long enough to pass the torch on to those who will next don proton packs to save the world.
The confirmed cast of the new Ghostbusters film so far includes Finn Wolfhard (Stranger Things, Stephen King's It), Mckenna Grace (The Haunting of Hill House, Annabelle Comes Home, Captain Marvel), and Carrie Coon (The Leftovers, Fargo, Gone Girl). The trio make up the core family unit of the story, which is said to follow a single mother and her children with some kind of mysterious ties to the Ghostbusters of old. Exactly how they will come into play remains a mystery. Early reports have indicated that Sigourney Weaver would be returning for the new film, which may provide a clue in itself.
It stands to reason that Grace and Wolfhard's characters might make up one half of the next generation of paranormal investigators however they might stumble their way into the ghostbusting business. The main characters are said to be four teens: two boys and two girls. Considering this film will be a direct sequel to the original Ghostbusters, we will likely see a passing of the torch a way that directly connects to the story and characters we still love to this day. We are hopeful the surviving original characters will all make an appearance in this sequel.
The new Ghostbusters sequel is written by Gil Kenan and Jason Reitman, with the latter also directing, and will hit theaters next summer on July 10th, 2020. Stay tuned to Dead Entertainment for all the latest news and updates on this film.
Sigourney Weaver Returning for New Ghostbusters Sequel?
It would appear that at least one star from the original films may be confirmed for the new movie.
Weekly Horror News Round-Up January 17: Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, The Silence of the Lambs, Candyman
Plus, upcoming home video releases, Penny Dreadful: City of Angels gets a trailer, release window set for CBS All Access’ The Stand, and more.
Weekly Horror News Round-Up January 10: American Horror Story, What We Do in the Shadows, The Howling on Netflix
Plus, Sabrina gets a music video, we get a first look at Into the Dark: My Valentine, Doctor Strange moves on from its director, and more.
Scream Factory Bringing Escape from L.A. to Collector’s Edition Blu-ray in April
John Carpenter’s 1996 follow-up film to Escape from New York is getting a brand-new home video release.
Our First Look at Marvel and Sony’s Morbius Film May Come Next Week
Reports are indicating the first official trailer for the movie could arrive the week of January 12th.