Here’s the Official Trailer for the Definitive ‘80s Horror Documentary, In Search of Darkness
This project aims to be your ultimate resource for all things related to the glory days of horror movies.
By Chris Morse
You may have heard about In Search of Darkness, a massive horror documentary project that was recently funded on Indiegogo, and we’re happy to share with you the official trailer, which has just been released today. Described as the definitive ‘80s horror documentary, this project is a love letter to the glory days of the genre us fans live, breathe, and bleed every day.
With over 100 hours of material put together and over 40 interviews conducted with film figures and influencers alike, the team behind In Search of Darkness poured a massive amount of energy into getting this nostalgic appreciation for ‘80s horror just right. A number of genre icons were on board for this documentary and the official campaign page detailed a few of the highlights, which you can read below.
- Heather Langenkamp (Actor - A Nightmare on Elm Street) details the “crazy day” on the Elm Street set filming her iconic bathtub scene with Freddy’s glove, plus the film that made her swear off watching horror.
- Joe Dante (Director - The Howling, Gremlins) explains how Gremlins was originally a much darker film and why they scrapped the plan for the beloved Gizmo to become the evil Gremlin, Stripe.
- Jeffrey Combs (Actor - Re-Animator, From Beyond) on crossing the line of excess in horror and how he studied dead bodies in the morgue to prep for Re-Animator.
- Barbara Crampton (Actor - Re-Animator, From Beyond) on cocaine-fuelled filmmaking and the use of nudity and violence to sell horror.
- Keith David (Actor - The Thing, They Live) recalls the two-week prep and cinematic inspirations for his epic fight with Roddy Piper in They Live.
- Greg Nicotero (SFX - Creepshow, Day of the Dead) pulls back the curtain on some of the era’s greatest SFX shots, including the use of rancid pig intestines on the Day of the Dead set.
- Bill Moseley (Actor - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2) on Tobe Hooper’s twisted Texas Chainsaw 2 humour and why so many people got “walking pneumonia” on set.
- Caroline Williams (Actor - Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2) on having to do the “chainsaw dance” with no training and a live chainsaw, and that pivotal moment with Leatherface’s chainsaw between her legs.
- Kane Hodder (Actor/Stuntman - House I & II, Friday the 13th VII-X) talks about staying in character as Jason on the set in Times Square and how he overcame his tragic on-set accident to perform the ultimate record-setting burn in a Friday the 13th movie.
- Sean S. Cunningham (Director - Friday the 13th) details how a film concept based on a simple title and marketing savvy became a juggernaut horror franchise.
- Tom Holland (Writer/Director - Fright Night, Child’s Play) details the “blind dumb luck” and last-minute make-up effects inspirations on the Fright Night set that turned the film into a horror classic.
This is just a rough idea of what In Search of Darkness has to offer, but the above should clearly illustrate the absolute passion of the dedicated team behind bringing this project to life. When this documentary makes its debut, we can expect to see a great deal of our favorite ‘80s horror movies on display, complete with behind-the-scenes takes, interesting stories, and more.
For now, the only place you can get your hands on this is through the official Indiegogo page, where orders are being taken until March 31st. You can choose from a variety of perks at varying cost levels, such as the standalone Blu-ray and DVD options, T-shirts, posters, or even producer credits. Prices range from about $25 for your basic packages all the way up to $4,000 if you want to be credited as an executive producer in the final release.
Orders will ship in late July and you will not be able to grab up this release anywhere else at that time. It stands to reason that non-backers will eventually be able to order this someplace or another, but the campaign rewards will be gone forever by then. If you are interested in picking this up, our advice is to get your orders in now and be among the first to enjoy this documentary when it makes its debut. Once again, you can do so right on the Indiegogo page.
Will you be grabbing up In Search of Darkness? Let us know in the comments below or on social media.
Weekly Horror News Round-Up October 24: Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Creepshow, Candyman
Plus, Tim Burton sets his sights on The Addams Family, Kane Hodder investigates the paranormal, Ghostbusters moves to summer, and more.
Weekly Horror News Round-Up October 17: Friday the 13th, The Walking Dead, Day of the Dead
Plus, I Know What You Did Last Summer gets the green light, You adds to its Season 3 cast, and more.
Weekly Horror News Round-Up October 10: The Stand, Resident Evil, The Witcher
Plus, an early teaser drops for The Addams Family 2, The Walking Dead meets Magic: The Gathering, Netflix announces a Godzilla anime, and more.
Weekly Horror News Round-Up September 12: The Walking Dead, Candyman, Books of Blood
Plus, Scream 5 adds to its cast, get Freaky in a new trailer from Blumhouse, the original Friday the 13th is remastered to return to theaters, and more.