Friday the 13th: The Game's Latest Patch Adds Bug Fixes and Polish
Despite content additions being off the table, the studio is showing the game a little love in its latest update.
By Chris Morse
We all know the unfortunate truth behind the fall of Friday the 13th: The Game, that is, the ongoing legal dispute between Sean Cunningham of Horror Inc and Victor Miller over the rights to the franchise. An injunction in the case forced any and all new creations related to the Friday the 13th property to immediately cease development, which unfortunately included any and all new content for the game.
Despite the setback, however, the developers have vowed to continue to support the game with respect to bug fixes and features. The sentiment rings true today as a new patch was just released for Friday the 13th: The Game, offering a number of gameplay fixes and improvements, the latest in the studio's efforts to polish its product so it will continue to be fun to play.
We've got the full patch notes right here, so check those out below or head on over to the game's official forums for more discussion and information from around the community.
Patch Notes - Friday the 13th: The Game - January 2019 Patch
INTERACTION LOCK - The team has fixed various interaction lock issues, including:
- Stumbling while dropping an item
- Entering Combat Stance while swinging weapon
CONNECTIVITY AND CRASHES - Multiple connectivity/crash fixes including:
- Network Error after joining lobby in Quick Play
- “Need Updated Client” error
ENVIRONMENT AND COLLISION
- Falling Animation Loop - Fixed various areas where players enter a falling animation and cannot continue, including:
- Firewood Logs on Pinehurst Map
- Cardboard Box on Packanack Map
- Coffee Table in Jarvis House
- Counselor Catch - Fixed various spots that could snag the counselors and make them unable to move, including:
- Cemetery fence on the Crystal Lake map.
- Safe Spots - Fixed various safe spots where the counselors are unreachable once entered, including:
- The cemetery in Higgin’s Haven
- Parking the car inside the barn on Pinehurst
- Fixed an issue where an invisible collision would occur at the barn fence on Pinehurst, causing the car to shift vertically after restarting the car.
- Fixed an exploit where counselors could use the car as a barricade at Jason’s shack, affecting several maps.
- Fixed an issue where the counselors could control their directional axis while climbing through windows, allowing them to reach unplayable areas of the maps.
- Fixed an issue where counselors are able to reach the rooftop of the Pinehurst Halfway House by escaping Jason's grab with a pocket knife.
- Fixed an issue disabling the “More Emotes” button.
- Fixed the Morph Cursor not showing on Xbox One.
BALANCING AND TUNING
Jason - Buffing Mother’s Special, Special Boy.
- Weapon Swing - Jason can now swing his equipped weapon to hit multiple targets at once. This will help Jason defend himself against bullies.
- Stun - It is no longer possible to Stun Jason while he is in Rage Mode unless using a shotgun or Pamela’s sweater.
- Rage Indicator will show on the minimap when Jason enters Rage Mode.
Counselors - They should have been watching him.
- Tommy Jarvis - Players who kill themselves cannot come back as Tommy Jarvis.
****Killing Jason is unchanged.****
While this news doesn't quite make up for a lack of content updates for many fans, it's still refreshing to see the developers live up to their promises and continue to put an ongoing effort into improving the game. The future of Friday the 13th: The Game may not be so bright, but at least the studio is doing right by its players, at least as much as they can within their legal rights given the current situation.
Let us know what you think when you've given the new patch a try, if you are still among those logging in to the game, in the comments below or on social media.